[kj] HOSANNAS production

dammit bleep hawk044 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 30 19:00:29 EST 2006

Upon another listen of the album, I have to refine my
opinion a little. I find very little different with
the guitar from KJ2003 to today in either stylistic or
sonic approach.

However, with exception of most cymbals and the
low-end toms, the kit is mostly undefined in tonality.
It sounds wet and understated. Of course, I'm biased
being a drummer.

There's more use of keys for the sake of melody
without overdoing it (as a whole). I love the wild and
weird-ass noises Jaz and Co. find on the various
synths, but it's nice to see the idea of a synth being
used for more than just "Weird Noise #232" and
"Screech #78".

Initially, I was thinking Nightime-era KJ off the bat,
but that's gone by "Invocation". At that point, I
realized this was gonna be an album that will grow on
me rather than knock the snot outta me throughout.

Just this man's opinion. I'm sure at least 1,000
people will believe the opposite.

-jim

--- Robert Mallett <Robert at jrcardwell.fsnet.co.uk>