[kj] front man Blunders

Devacor at aol.com Devacor at aol.com
Mon Mar 27 17:09:10 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/24/2006 8:20:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
fluwdot at earthlink.net writes:

but  as for not being a blunder... i disagree. the change in  course the band
took in terms of sound; since jaz went to the mic stand, kj  keyboard sounds
have not had the reverberant tintinnabulation of early killing  joke. as if
killing joke lost an instrument or a  member.

since assuming the role of crazed bellwether, jaz lost his  immersion in the
whole and ceased creating those great soundscapes for the  band to plunge
through. and as witnessed through courtald talks, drunken  tours, errant
interviews, etc...jaz does not possess the magnetism to sustain  such a position long
enough to conclude in his promulgated success

also if you consider this:

without the  keyboard to keep jaz occupied - a musical tool/vessel in which
to express  himself sonically - he needed to find something to do with all his
freedom...and that something became the uncomfortable plodding histrionics of
 a man in search of his more vital and effective skill;  musicianship.

laugh- well of course there are different ways to think about this. I  agree
with you to an extent-
 technically jaz/kj could still have had the same amount of  keyboard/synth
even with him not behind it. although your theory of it fading  out with him
taking the front rule holds weight, its not certain that is the  total reason.
 I  was intrigued by killing joke when I first gave them a listen  at 15 yrs
old. a few yrs later when I was able to see them in concert and see  Jaz "do
his thing" is what turned me into a mega fan- getting more into  their music
and them as a band. Personally my overall opinion and fan fare  level would have
never reached what it has if Jaz was  perma- stuck behind  a keyboard during
the live gigs. Yes he can border on dorky/silly when these  drawn out songs
keep going and going and going... but to me the good  outweighs the bad with
him frontmanning it.
One thing about KJ is one can be a core fan  for pretty different  reasons
then another core fan. To me I could see how one would have perhaps  Jaz
preferred camped and more musically plugged into the keyboards but I  couldn't see it
as a top 10 blunder. Obviously to someone else, they  could..
adam