[kj] ot - words f/ peltier

fluw fluwdot at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 9 09:39:49 EST 2006

apologies to those who care not for his words, but that is what OT is for.
for those who care to read, some smart inspiring words from a wise man:

MESSAGE FROM LEONARD PELTIER:

Greetings My Relatives:

I say relatives for we are all related in some way.  Each year I make
statements commemorating the Oglala incident or the anniversary of my
imprisonment.  Sometimes sitting here in my cell, looking through my
glasses, they no longer take the blur away like they once did.  I think
about the lifetimes I've spent behind these walls.  Sometimes for a
prisoner, it's like you've died to your friends and family.  The only
difference is that you can talk to them on occasion and sometimes see them.
I have spent my life trying to make a difference in the world, for the
better.  Sometimes someone notices in some way and says thank you for
something I was involved with.  However my greatest joy comes from someone
saying that something I said or was involved with inspired them to be better
than they were or seek for themselves to make the world a better place.  I
remember in my youth that I had a hard time expressing deep feelings but
after years of losing friends and relatives who were very close to me, I
have come to cherish the opportunity to speak to you even though it be by
letter or some other way.

This is the second statement I've written today.  My first was quite
political in nature but after thinking about it I realized most of you get
to read the same papers, watch the same news channels that I do.  When
you're 30 you can hardly imagine dying.  When you're 61 you know it's
entirely possible and could come anytime.  Having said that I want to say a
few things from my heart to your heart.

Seek the creator in all the things you do.  Cherish your time with one
another.  Develop your personal self discipline, which is the key to all
success.  Develop a sense of happiness within you that none can take away.
Develop who you are and remain true to your higher self and your integrity
will be an inspiration to others.  Show your strengths when necessary, even
if it is in being gentle or humble.  Speak of others in private the same way
you would in their presence.  Do your best to find the good in all people
and stand and speak up against wrong doing.  Respect the earth where you
stand.  Many parts of Mother Earth are also held captive behind concrete and
steel.  Do your best to recognize inspiration from the Creator and avoid
listening to your own, especially when you are tempted in contradiction of
your higher values.  Never be too proud to say you were wrong or too fearful
to stand up for what you know is right.  Don't expect to not get hurt by
life, just because you've done your best to do what's right.  Especially -
don't lose your sense of humor, even when the laughter is at your own
expense.

Life is a learning place.  Existence is forever.  Challenges are only
challenges because life has given you an opportunity to grow in an area of
your fear or weakness.  Perhaps I've talked too much, eh?  I want to thank
all of you for remembering me.  Most of all I want to thank all of you who
have chosen to make a difference for the betterment of this world.

I know we don't all have the same capabilities or resources and I know from
experience and history that there will always be those who would commit
injustice against others.  I know this is the way of things in the past and
it will continue in the future.  But I also know that if has touched our
hearts to do so, we must each, in our own way, in our own time, be part of
the cure against the sicknesses of greed, wealth mongering and nature
destruction that faces all mankind.  We can't individually stop it or even
collectively, however, we can sure slow it up and, pray to the Creator that
his intervention will prevail.

Seriously, know that I love you and that you will be in my prayers.  Thirty
years ago on February 6th, or March 6th, I would hardly have been able to
express these feelings.  I thank you for your patience, your time, your
support, and your loyalty and for allowing me to share this existence with
you.  As someone once said, we are all climbing the same mountain, just from
different sides.

In the Spirit of Crazy Horse,

Mitakuye oyasin!

Leonard Peltier