[kj] Implosion (again)

Christof hamille wessidetempest at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 7 12:22:14 EST 2006

>From Wikipedia

Recording

Recorded at Abbey Road Studios, London between June 1972 and January 1973,
the album contains some of the most intricate uses of instruments and sound
effects in the studio up to that time, including the sound of someone
running around a microphone, and the recording of multiple clocks going off.
A quadraphonic version was also released, with some re-mixing and different
takes. In making DSotM, Pink Floyd perfected other effects such as
doubletracking of vocals and guitars (allowing David Gilmour to harmonise
flawlessly with himself), flanged vocals and odd trickery with reverb and
panning of sound between the channels. To this day, The Dark Side of the
Moon is a reference standard that audiophiles use to test the fidelity of
audio equipment. Another feature of the album is the snippets of dialogue
between and over the tracks. Pink Floyd interviewed various people, asking
questions related to the central themes of the album, such as violence and
death. Roadie "Roger the Hat" features more than once ("give 'em a quick,
short, sharp, shock ...", "live for today, gone tomorrow, that's me...").
The words "there is no dark side of the Moon really ... matter of fact it's
all dark" over the closing heartbeats come from the studio doorman at the
time, Gerry Driscoll. Paul and Linda McCartney were also interviewed, but
their answers were considered too cautious for inclusion. McCartney's
bandmate Henry McCullough contributed the famous line "I don't know, I was
really drunk at the time". The monologue about the "geezers" who were
"cruisin' for a brusin" comes from a conversation Roger Waters taped with
his girlfriend about whether he was right to beat up several men in a recent
bar fight.

Alan Parsons engineered the album while on staff at Abbey Road. He once said
in an interview that he swapped shifts with colleagues in order to work on
the whole project.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Side_of_the_Moon

Chris