[kj] Riot Riot

Devacor at aol.com Devacor at aol.com
Mon Mar 6 16:02:18 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/6/2006 1:48:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wessidetempest at hotmail.com writes:

Mid to  (where it was the worst) late 80s were the worst as far as violence
at  punk shows in Detroit.  Part of it was that the popularity was gone and
now the true punks and the seedy people were left to their own  devices.  I
was never at a show thinking a riot was going to break  out.  But I was at
too many shows where I had to fight my way  out.  More of a vicious bar brawl
feeling.  But you had no idea  if anyone had a weapon.  And in some cases
they would use whatever  they could get their hands on.  It was also one of
the lower times in  the MI (As a whole) economy.  Especially Detroit.  And we
are  repeating that cycle again.

Welcome to  Thunderdome

Chris

>From:  LONESTYLE at aol.com
>To:  gathering at misera.net
>Subject: Re: [kj] Riot Riot
>Date: Mon, 6  Mar 2006 12:16:25 EST
>

>In a message dated 3/5/2006  11:20:09 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
>flightbringer at hotmail.co.uk  writes:
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B1DSICjgqU&search=British%20Invasion
>
>I  understand that the British punk gig in America got attacked by   the
>far right yesterday. Why is America such a violent place? Even  the  Police
>programmes I see on TV , the Cops are usually giving  someone a  beating.
>Maybe the American Police should come to the  UK to see how to  police the
>community in a peaceful way, without  resorting to  violence.

I was just in London last month (im from the U.S.) and  observed how the
Police  handled people. I stayed across from Buckingham  Palace and  obeserved how
the police dealt with the crowds during the  changing of the gaurds. that and
there were a few pretty big protests going on  over the cartoon bit at the
time- I was thinking "my gosh these cops are soft"-  they were acting like
ushers at a movie theater or something compared to U.S.  cops.
 I think I may have mentioned b/f but my ex gf's brother was a cop and  just
went through the academy. I asked him the question- "why are most cops
assholes?" -  He said its how you are trained up. the ones who don't have  the make
up to be molded into the "standard issue U.S. cop" just drop  out. I went to
his graduation and met most of his class. I didn't ever get  any feeling that
any of them were rednecks/lunkheads just waiting to use their  billy club on
someone who smirked at them. Most of them were college educated  and seemed
smart- they just seemed very programmed.
  as for violence in the D.C. and NYC scenes. I came around DC in the  mid
80's and it was pretty rough. Real deal tough guys and gals. There was the
"crossover" time when metal heads were starting to show up to some shows and  they
were totally worked over (guess they weren't cool enough)- I saw some  things
I wish I never had to see all done for no real reason.
 In the late 80's early 90's it got rougher but in a different way. It
seemed you had idiots trying to prove how tough they were. There was a real  tacky
time in the early 90's in the NYC and NJersey area where people were  brining
chains, stun guns, hammers and such to shows and  swinging them  around in the
pit. I was bouncing during those times. I also had to deal a few  times with
people getting shot and stabbed.
 I saw circle jerks at cbgb's in the summer- some nyc tough guys were  there
and at one point pulled a knife on someone in the front b/c they bumped  into
them or something. God forbid that happen at a punk show.
 I guess you get used to it here but it can be very tiring.