[kj] KJ v Julian Cope

Alex Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 27 11:11:22 EDT 2006

Back in Feb `05, when I was over for the KJ Anniversary shows, Rob's Generous Arse gave me a copy of Cope's then latest opus, CITIZEN CAIN'D. I dare say I barely listened to it once -- it was that dull.

The great attrocity about Julian is that he clearly has a virtually effortless knack for big huge hooks, yet chooses to embrace half-baked attempts at krautrock (occassinoally successful, as on JEHOVAHKILL) or embarassing comedy-metal like Brain Donor. If only he'd stick with what he does best!

Alex in NYC