[kj] OK, I'm going reply..geordie's texture & funky bounce

fluw fluwdot at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 19 13:17:15 EDT 2006

<<.I'm imagining it in slowed-down form giving Geordie more room for
richer texture and funky bounce. (I'm not a guitarist, so pardon my
clueless vocab). >>

*that email title sounds a bit funny...
anyway in reply to jiri's quote above:
the more frantic meter seems to be a need with so much of kj's material
after democracy. but i 'm not so sure it isn't _just_ due to the tempos
being employed - geordie's guitar doesn't possess the strong posture and
majestic omni-presence it once had: he is just not using texture and
ambiance the way he did in his youth. it's like he has less confidence
and feels the need to overplay - the way just about every other electric
guitarist on earth does.

must admit though, as a guitarist, i have experienced the need to play
more notes or make more and more noise when the tone i am getting is
fuzzy buzzy and crappy. maybe this is where the tendency comes from for
geordie as well. when the sound that comes out of your amp does not
possess weight and texture, and because each does not carry as much
character or harmonic information, one tends to play with less aplomb
and replace stoic phrasing and mature rhythmic confidence with a more
busy and frantic approach to try and match what previous could be said
with less.

similar i guess to when someone has laryngitis or is horse..they tend to
put more emphasis into their speech in order to get the words out and
the sound continues to degrade as the listener attempts to listen harder
but finds it too difficult relate and eventually tunes the person out.

this is what i experience with listening to killing joke on recent
albums: that i am making a concerted effort to listen and look for
things i like in a stilted or conscious way, but i am not listening and
experiencing emotions the way i would if the music drew me into it, or
inspired me to hear the music in a more natural passive state.  frankly
it is work listening to the last two records

*