[kj] OT: WC - Stanley Cup

Jiri unspeakable at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 19 12:49:24 EDT 2006

Actually, this really isn't surprising at all. Hockey ratings are
abysmal here and have been for years. It is a niche sport that
relatively few see the beauty of--which is fine with me, because I don't
want my favorite sport being overexposed and blabbed about ad nauseum
the way baseball and (American) football are here. American mass sports
commentators generally have two whipping boys: soccer and hockey. They
don't know much about either and are confused by the attention they get,
so they trash them. Just leave us alone.

The World Cup, on the other hand, has the nominal "white" American
audience that hockey gets PLUS the attention of huge ethnic and
immigrant populations and their offspring (including myself) throughout
the country. I've never seen the kind of packed-pub,
four-languages-spoken World Cup gatherings that are happening throughout
town right now occur for the Stanely Cup, except when the local team is
still in it.