[kj] OK, I'm going to say it...

Jiri unspeakable at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 16 16:41:25 EDT 2006

That is cool. It's not my favorite, but it is quite satisfying and has
mostly exceeded my expectations (which are admittedly lower at this
point in their career). I do get a high from it, despite having some
complaints. Then again I don't know if I have a favorite album--which
speaks to why Killing Joke has its hooks in me so deep. Every freaking
album has vital moments of beautiful ugliness that I can't imagine being
without. I never know when I wake up each day which of their albums I
will want to hear, but I know damn well I must listen to one of them.

Although my tastes include blues, folk, electronic and jam bands, in the
"rock" area nothing ever satisfies me the way the Joke does. No matter
what new music I try, I always return to KJ. Seems my tastes have become
too narrow, but I'm well satiated, so what the hell.

I wonder how they consistently do it for me, though...Aside from
Geordie's guitar and old BPF drumming, I sometimes guess it's because
Jaz has imbued their work with some dark spell that captures the most
primitive sections of my brain and puts me in a trance. I suspect the
keyboard is where he does it, using his musical knowledge to find the
perfect, subtle notes that takeover my neurons and cause me to
"experience" rather than "listen" to the music.
Hmmm..."Implant"...hypnotize..."know my DNA"....hmmm.