[kj] ot - budgie tony bourge

god botherer acroastic at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 11 08:06:19 EDT 2006

fluw wrote

>any budgie tony bourge experts on the list?

The King of Riffs!

Don't know about being an expert, but I highly rate everything he did with
Budgie. They were never as good once he left in 1978, even though they
enjoyed some prominence mixed up in the NWOBHM slew. They morphed into
something like AC/DC. They retained the hard edge, but lost all the colour
and subtlety.

I think any Gatherer would have no trouble getting into Zoom Club, In For
the Kill, Napoleon Bona Part I & II and Breadfan (which was of course
covered by Metallica around the same time they covered The Wait). Bourge is
co-credited as writer with Burke Shelley, singer and bass player on all
these and other classics.

As well as producing glorious, irrestistible heavy riffs, Bourge decorated
quieter moments with some beautiful acoustic work.

He's done very little of note since Budgie; the only album I think he's been
on since is the one Tredegar album, which I gather is good, but I've not
heard. In fact I might try and track down a copy now.

Budgie have become active again in recent years, but sadly without Bourge. I
saw them in Letchworth about 7 years ago and I remember Shelley making some
disparaging remark about Bourge not being there; I got a sense that he
wasn't wanted and they could manage perfectly well without him. I was
terribly disappointed as they only played later Budgie stuff with Thomas
doing all the most obvious and predictable old metal guitarist stuff.
Towards the end they started up In For the Kill but the bastards only played
part of it before going into some guitar showing off nonsense.

They are on tour all over the country during the latter part of this year. I
think they are worth seeing but you really need to get the following albums
to know what they were really all about (and they are ulikely to play much
from these):

Budgie 1971 (has Nude Disintegrating Parachute Woman)

Squawk 1972 (Hot as a Docker's Armpit)

Never Turn Your Back on a Friend 1973 (Breadfan, In the Grip of a
Tyrefitter's Hand, Parents)

In For the Kill 1974 (In For the Kill, Zoom Club, Living On Your Own)

Bandolier 1975 (Breaking All the House Rules, I Can't See My Feelings,
Napoleon Bona Part I & II)

Bourge was also on:

If I Were Britannia I'd Waive the Rules 1976

Impeckable 1978

The 73, 74 and 75 albums are where it's at. You WON'T be sorry if you have
these in your collection. That's a promise!

Hope I've been able to provide some information new to you.

Happy hunting!

gb