[kj] ot: LATER WITH JOOLS - Primal Scream

iPat pmdavies at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 04:19:34 EDT 2006

WELCOME TO THE LATER WITH JOOLS NEWSLETTER, SERIES 27, PROGRAMME 6

NEXT SHOW is this FRIDAY at 11.35PM, BBC2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/later/

Hello Music Lovers,

Who do I have for you lucky people this week?

The barmy army are back! PRIMAL SCREAM return to rock our world and blow our
tiny minds! I can honestly say that they are sounding better than they ever.
Their new album "Riot City Blues" is just a good time, rocking out
collection of crackers. You can't fail to not like them.

He's one of our best songwriters and a quintessentially English gent
(although he claims some Welsh blood). RAY DAVIES has acted, directed films
and written books but 2006 sees a return to rock 'n' roll for Ray. He'll be
showcasing tracks from his new album "Other People Lives" and I'm hoping to
try and talk him into performing a classic Kinks track. Wish me luck!

They say talent is in your genes and my next guest is proof positive of
that. ROSANNE CASH, daughter of Johnny, is a Grammy award-winning country
star and has seen a hit-rate of over twenty Top Forty singles, including
eleven number ones, since her debut in '79. Her latest album, "Black
Cadillac" is a posthumous tribute to her parents and step-mother and has
been released to critical acclaim. I'll be chatting to her about her
Scottish ancestry and our mutual love of Hank Williams amongst other things.

Who else can I tease you with?

I wonder what it must be like to be an Argentinean Swede? Well I'll be
asking the unassuming but hugely talented singer-songwriter, JOSE GONZALEZ
that question backstage. His debut album "Veneer" shot to the top ten on its
release last year. You may have heard "Heartbeats" on the Sony "Bouncing
Balls" advert. Jose will be performing a hauntingly beautiful version of
Kylie Minogue's hit "Hand on My Heart".

OMAR, the founder of Nu British soul is back after a five year hiatus,
during which time he's built his own studio, set up his own label and toured
like a mad man. His new album 'Sing (If You Want It)' has been described as
his funkiest yet and features an impressive line up of collaborators from
Stevie Wonder to Angie Stone.

If Peter Kay were in a band this is what he'd look like and probably sound
like. Hailing from the exotic sounding Leicestershire town of
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, THE YOUNG KNIVES consist of drummer Oliver Askew, singer
/ guitarist Henry Dartnall and his brother The House of Lords! Their debut
album, produced by Gang of Four's, Andy Gill, delivers catchy, clever, sharp
songs that bring a smile to my face.

Next week I'll be welcoming KEANE, GOGOL BORDELLO, THE DRESDEN DOLLS, THE
FRATELLIS & THE DIXIE CHICKS.

Tune in FRIDAY 9th JUNE at 11.35pm on BBC Two

Lots of love,

Jools x

--
Pat Davies