[kj] The Gypsy Curse

Bo Krogsgaard t23 at mother.brap.dk
Tue Jul 18 20:13:00 EDT 2006

Probably not a lot of you know what Manele is. It is basically
traditional Romanian music mixed with gypsy beats.

It is basically the same song over and over again, a million times, with
the same fucking beat. Here in Romania, you're either a "rockeru"
meaning you like guitars, or a "manelistii", meaning you like Manele.

Let me explain. Manele is to music what Destiny's Child is to original
R'n'B, but worse. It's gypsies who sucked at pickpocketing who turned to
 singing, and the music is about as "genuine" as what you'd expect at a
Backstreet Boys concert.

When i moved down here two years ago it was funny to make up new music
genres, since i had no clue what Manele was, and i remember one drunken
night in Serbia making up genres like Gypsy Ska, Gypsybilly (my fave),
and of course everyone's fave Death Gypsy. You get the idea.

As said, all songs have the same fucking beat, and they all sing the
same lyrics. "I want money and death to my enemies" or something like
that. For a humorous, yet terribly correct description, look for it on
www.uncyclopedia.org or even better, Google for the Manele Generator.

The Death And Resurrection Show carries a Manele beat. Not only that,
the whole SONG carries the beat.

THE beat. The fucking pest of Romania. I'm not going into how the local
Manele kids (out of which nearly everybody have bleaced mullets)
actually liked said tune when i cranked it to piss them off, and i was
left going "oh shit, this is right down their alley".

It is difficult to maintain a notion of Killing Joke being your fave
band after this. It's just disgusting. Every time i hear that damdam
damdam dam i think "shit, the gypsy beat", and put on some grindcore
instead.

Which reminds me of the new Gadget but that's so off topic that i'll
spare you :)