[kj] The Hosannas new mix challenge from the original CD

CEPLASTER at aol.com CEPLASTER at aol.com
Mon Jul 10 23:40:41 EDT 2006

Dear Robert,

        Your pursuit of making a more  "tweaked" master of the KJ lp is cool,
but ultimately what folks are clamoring  for is a remix of the record, i.e.
going  back to the multitrack tapes and  starting from scratch.
         I'd be curious to know if  hosannas was actually mixed in the
basement studio it was recorded in,  as  they brought that Mark Lusardi guy in to do
the mixes, and if he was mixing in  unfamiliar environs and having to listen
to the volume cranked up too much (what  with Jaz being there and all), it is
not surprising that things might come out  sounding a little odd.
         Good mixes  have more  to do with familiarity with the listening
environment than almost anything  else.  So what that means a lot of times is
that if the engineer is  mixing in a studio he's familiar with, even if the
studio might not be fully  equipped, his odds of getting a good mix are better than
if he's mixing at a  place he's never worked at before, even if the studio
had all the right  gear.
         Most of the top dollar mix  engineer guys tend to work at a very
small amount of studios, sometimes only one  or two, because once they find a
place that works for them, they tend to stick  with it.   It's more rare to find
a mix guy that will willingly mix in  a lot of different places.
          In the case of KJ,  if they had jobbed the record out to someone
like Nigel Godrich ,
I could virtually gurantee that he would mix at the studio of HIS choosing,
not KJ's.
So in any event,  if someone got a hold of the multitrack tapes and  mixed
them somewhere else,  I'm sure the results would have been  different.
          Maybe if  the  band tours the states they might consent to remixing
a track or two for singles  or  something.                            thanks,
 Carl P.