[kj] O/T Techology help

Papa Lazarou circuit_bender at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 7 19:54:50 EDT 2006

mate, they're burning CDs. you're giving too much info ;)

Robert Cashour <rcashour at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
  on 7/7/06 3:02 PM, Papa Lazarou at circuit_bender at yahoo.com wrote:

  I am not sure you can in Roxio, unless there is something in the sound editor.. There is an equal loudness function in sonic, but i'll go with what was earlier said, and suggest normalizing the tracks in a wave editor first.

You can normalize a track all you want, but you may still have trouble matching levels so it sounds equally loud to your ears. It's all about two things a) production and b) mastering

That's why you're never going to get an early KJ recording to sound as 'loud' as KJ03', for example, without the right tools, and even then it may not match. One thing I do with older tracks off of casette (for example) in Logic is to put them through a battery of plug-ins after I normalize. I usually insert a compressor at around 4:1 ratio, an exciter (or two) to enhance low-end and high frequencies, and the master seven-channel eq to push some frequencies louder.

After I get that sounding good, I insert the Master Compressor, the Adaptive Limiter, and maybe that second exciter on the output channels. I then bounce it to a .wav file for use in iTunes. I've gotten stuff to sound drastically different and much better/louder after using these techniques. Unfortunately, this equipment isn't affordable for everyone, and not everyone is a sound engineer like I am either.

Brian Whitehead <bawhitehead at gmail.com> wrote:

Seeing as its quite I'll get this in now.

Totally off topic

I seem to remember this being asked some time ago.

When I'm making a compilation CD on the PC (I use Roxio) with different CDs having different levels, one track is very lound and the next quiet in comparison.

How do I level them out?