[kj] Re: Hosannas promo RAR file needs password

Darren A. Peace dpeace at bigfoot.com
Sun Jan 29 09:18:41 EST 2006

From: F Luke <fluke_839 at fsmail.net>

... I dont believe that everyone has the right to own complete albums unless
they help pay for the albums making

... Upload the new album once it has been released, but not TWO months
BEFORE the official release.

=======================================

What a muddy and confused response! Saying in the same (sort of) paragraph
that everyone does not have the right to own a complete album without paying
for it (I'm presuming that you mean that no-one does, rather than that there
can be exceptions), and then granting permission to upload it once it's been
released!

I don't feel the need to add to my former post, as yours has ignored the
points I made and is befuddled and irrational. I would say, however, that
most industries have promotional budgets, and builders (to use the example
you cite) will offer cash incentives to secure a sale (I concede that there
is no more direct equivalent in the building world, although there are many
more appropriate parallels in other media, such as the DVD and book trades).
You seem to be arguing a point based on the premise that every single copy
of this album is given away, which I don't think is justified. Any record
company issuing promos is disingenuous at best if they are not aware of the
likelihood that the promo will be leaked / sold.

I also believe that Reza has confirmed that the leaked tracks do not
represent the finished mixes, although I can't post a link as the KJ message
board has currently exceeded its bandwidth. It is my understanding that the
tracks were leaked in order to generate excitement and feedback prior to the
final mixing process, and it seems to me that both aims have been achieved.

Thanks, however, for acknowledging my right to decide for myself what to do.
I accept that you (seem, as there is contradiction in your post, to)
disapprove of my choice (as is your right), and have no doubt that you have
already deleted these tracks from your computer, following your epiphany.

I have nothing further to say about this issue on the mailing list.

Darren