[kj] RE: Foos, Nirvana, whatever

Rob Martin robmartin at bluebottle.com
Sat Jan 14 15:34:50 EST 2006

Leigh & Ade
Thanks for the replies.

Leigh
I can't argue with your expressed views. Each to their own and all that
stuff.
I confess here and now that I've only got into the Foos in the last year or
so - I'd been resisting, for some reason, for many years but finally caved
in to pressure.
I ignorantly just presumed they were some tin-pot American punk-wannabe
band.
Guess I got it very wrong and I'm now very pissed off with myself that I've
missed out on the first 9 years or so of Foos music.
I've quickly come to realise that it is exactly the kind of music I love
most - loud emotion-filled vocals, loads of drums, guitaring etc.
So for me it is all relatively new and fresh, whereas you have been able to
get bored with it and move on.
OK - I have to agree with Ade about 'Resolve' and 'Best of you' on the
latest album but the rest of Disk 1 is outstanding (IMHO).
Ade, there may be another option - maybe Dave G wrote those songs in a
love-fuelled haze and didn't write them in a cynical rock-cliche manner.
Whatever - I'm not going to let 2 songs put me off the rest of his output.
I love the album he made with QotSA too - Music for the deaf.

Regards
Rob Martin