[kj] Which album did KJ do in Liverpool?

nicholas fitzpatrick gasw30 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 4 05:52:27 EST 2006

Happy New Year all!

I know there's a few Genesis fans on the list, but for all those who love to
hate Phil Collins, here's another reason - for closing down a landmark
recording studio in Liverpool. (Killing Joke briefly mentioned in paragraph
six as having recorded there. Which album, though? Revelations?).

Regards
Nick, who is p***ed off at not being able to download Implosion.

All Rights Reserved
The Times (London)

December 27, 2005, Tuesday

HEADLINE: Liverpool to lose musical landmark

BY: Steve Bird

Phil Collins and his Genesis bandmates are to set to pull the plug on
studios that spawned the stars, reports Steve Bird

THEY helped to create the Britpop movement and define the music of a
generation.

Coldplay, Pulp, The Stereophonics and The Charlatans all chose the 19th
century converted warehouse in Liverpool to record some of Britain's
most-influential and best-selling albums.

Now Phil Collins, the multimillionaire veteran rock singer, has been accused
of bringing to an end a vital piece of Liverpool's music heritage as it
prepares to become the 2008 European City of Culture. Collins, along with
his fellow Genesis band members, Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks, has applied
to transform the Parr Street Studio into 41 luxury flats worth millions. The
three band members would benefit from the property boom sparked when
Liverpool won its city of culture bid.

For the past 12 years the three-studio complex, the largest in the city and
the biggest outside London, has also been host to the artistic endeavours of
Diana Ross, Feeder, The Beautiful South, Teenage Fanclub and Embrace, as
well as being the launch-pad for successful Merseyside bands including Echo
and the Bunnymen.

Other artists and groups to have recorded there include Barry Manilow,
Sleeper, Bjork, Simply Red, Take That, Snow Patrol, Howard Jones, Sophie
Ellis Bextor, Badly Drawn Boy, Killing Joke, OMD, and Terrorvision.

Ken Nelson, a music producer who has won three Grammy awards during his time
at Parr Street after working on Coldplay's hit albums Parachutes and A Rush
of Blood to the Head, said: "To lose the studios would be a great shame. I
have encouraged bands that I have worked with to come to Liverpool to record
at Parr Street, people like Coldplay, Feeder and Embrace. If the studios
close then these great artists and others will have no reason to come to the
city to record."

Liverpool has seen visitor numbers increase, drawn to the city's musical
heritage.

Many music fans include the Parr Street Studio on their tour of the city,
which centres on the Cavern Club where the Beatles found fame. Thomas Laing,
a singer and producer who made the video that helped the city to win the
culture bid, said he wanted to meet Collins, who lives in Switzerland, to
try to persuade him to abandon plans to scrap the studios.

"We don't have the power to stop them selling the building to a developer,"
he said. "There is a huge gulf between us and him and his group, he may not
even know what is being proposed for the studio."

Laing added: "But we want to speak to Phil Collins as one set of creative
people to another and discuss the possibility of buying the building
ourselves to save it."

Warren Bradley, Liverpool City Council's executive member for culture, said:
"The loss of Parr Street would be desperately sad. In my opinion the city
centre does not need any more developments of flats. I want these creative
people to continue to come to Liverpool and if the worst comes to the worst
we must do our best to help to relocate people."

Another business based at Parr Street, Porcupine Music, a management company
that looks after Echo and The Bunnymen, is also opposed to the planning
application.

Peter Byrne, the company's director, said: "It would be a disaster if the
city was to lose studios of this standard. This in also a genuine piece of
Liverpool history and people are really angry about it facing closure."

The area around Parr Street is close to the £ 750 million city-centre
regeneration project being undertaken by the Duke of Westminster. It is at
the heart of another redevelopment called Ropewalks and its value has
escalated in the past decade. Speculators have been buying up streets of old
warehouses near the docks -some still bomb-damaged from the Second World War
-and sitting on them, waiting for redevelopment to begin.

The planning application has been postponed until councillors have visited
the site, which could be worth £ 1.5 million. A spokesman for Collins's
property company, Hit and Run, said it was in disrepair and much of it was
not used.

www.timesonline.co.uk/music Reviews, weblog and free downloads

FOR THE RECORD - THE BEST OF BRITISH

* The Abbey Road Studios in St John's Wood are the most famous recording
studios in the world. Beatles fans make the pilgrimage to North London to
walk over the zebra crossing that features on the Abbey Road album. The
studios still exist

* The Beatles founded the Apple studios in the basement of their Apple Corps
headquarters in Savile Row. They closed in the mid 1970s

* The world's first residential studios were Rockfield Studios, near
Abergavenny, South Wales. Set up in the early 1960s by brothers Charles and
Kingsley Ward it has used by Queen, Black Sabbath, The Undertones and The
Manic Street Preachers.

* Peter Gabriel's Real World Studios, a 200-year-old water mill on the edge
of the village of Box, near Bath, has been used by a host of stars,
including Kylie Minogue

* Britannia Row was the studio first used by Pink Floyd in London. The group
bought the building in 1975 and the facility has been used by Westlife,
Atomic Kitten, James Blunt and Kate Bush

* The Rolling Stones used the Olympic Studios in Barnes, South West London,
to record six albums between 1966 and 1972. They have also been used by
Duran Duran, Roxy Music, The Cranberries and Oasis

* The Eden studios in Chiswick, West London, opened in 1967 and continue to
be used by a range of stars including McFly, George Michael, The Smiths, The
Kaiser Chiefs and Girls Alound