[kj] OT: Stork Attack

Rob's Arse joker at Z6.com
Sun Feb 26 14:11:41 EST 2006

Thinking of you all.
Tell Peg not to cough and good luck.

Stress, new job, 2 year old.
You got it all ,mate. Keep smiling.

--- Alexander Smith <vassifer at earthlink.net> wrote:

From: Alexander Smith <vassifer at earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 12:49:22 -0500
To:  "A  list  about  all  things  Killing  Joke  (the  band!)"
<gathering at misera.net>
Subject: [kj] OT: Stork Attack

Since I fleetingly addressed it on my stupid weblog and on ILX,
I  might  as  well share it here as well, for those who like to
keep up to date of such things.

We  had  to  check  Peg  (the wife) into the hospital on Friday
afternoon.  She'd  started  having  some early contractions and
some  bleeding and had already started to dilate. They ended up
putting  her  on  a  combination of steroids and magneseum. The
steroids  are to buffer the baby's development (if we delivered
this  week,  we'd  be uncomfortably early) and the magneseum is
designed  to  curtail  the  contractions she's been prematurely
having.  The  good  news  is that the baby is fine (heart beat,
weight,  etc.).  The  not  so  great news is that the magneseum
treatment takes a while -- they have her on it for 24 hours and
then  take  her off of it to observe her for another 24 to make
sure  it  did the trick and that the contractions have stopped.
They're now saying that it's highly unlikely that they're going
to  let her out of the hospital before Monday (and even went so
far  as to suggest that they might want to keep her there until
it's  time  to  properly deliver).  This, of course, makes life
hugely  difficult  to plan (what with Charlotte -- our 2 yr old
--  needing to be looked after).

Even  if  they let Peg out on Monday, they're saying she should
be  confined  to  mandatory  partial bedrest. In light of this,
we're  sort've  scrambling to find an available nanny who might
be  able  to  help  us  through  this chaotic patch. While it's
completely  great  that  I  finally  got  a  new  job  that I'm
completely  enjoying,  I no longer have huge swathes off in the
middle  of the week to look after Charlotte. I'm trying to find
out  of the Day Care center where we take Charlotte on Tues and
Thurs  could accommodate her on the other days of the week, but
of  course,  it  being  the fuckin' weekend, it's impossible to
reach them.

As of Sunday noon, the magneseum treatments seem to be working.
The contractions have been largely curtailed, and Peg's spirits
are  much  better.  I've been frantically bouncing between home
and  hospital, and my Mom has been gracious enough to help look
after  Charlotte,  who  herself  has  been uncharacteristically
angelic  throughout  these proceedings. Not sure what'll happen
for  the  rest of the week (if the contractions continue beyond
Monday,  they  say  they won't try to stop them at that point).
Mercifully,   the  folks  at  MTVNews  Online  have  been  very
supportive, understanding and accommodating about all of this.

More news maybe later....and hopefully it'll be happy news.

Alex in NYC
e-mail: vassifer at earthlink.net
weblog: http://vassifer.blogs.com