[kj] OT: Stork Attack

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 13:03:27 EST 2006

Hang in there Alex. I hope Peg continues to improve and that Charlotte decides to be sweetness and light for the foreseeable future!

  Jim.

Alexander Smith <vassifer at earthlink.net> wrote:

  Since I fleetingly addressed it on my stupid weblog and on ILX, I might as well share it here as well, for those who like to keep up to date of such things.

  We had to check Peg (the wife) into the hospital on Friday afternoon. She'd started having some early contractions and some bleeding and had already started to dilate. They ended up putting her on a combination of steroids and magneseum. The steroids are to buffer the baby's development (if we delivered this week, we'd be uncomfortably early) and the magneseum is designed to curtail the contractions she's been prematurely having. The good news is that the baby is fine (heart beat, weight, etc.). The not so great news is that the magneseum treatment takes a while -- they have her on it for 24 hours and then take her off of it to observe her for another 24 to make sure it did the trick and that the contractions have stopped. They're now saying that it's highly unlikely that they're going to let her out of the hospital before Monday (and even went so far as to suggest that they might want to keep her there until it's time to properly deliver).  This, of course, makes life huge
 ly
 difficult to plan (what with Charlotte -- our 2 yr old --  needing to be looked after).

  Even if they let Peg out on Monday, they're saying she should be confined to mandatory partial bedrest. In light of this, we're sort've scrambling to find an available nanny who might be able to help us through this chaotic patch. While it's completely great that I finally got a new job that I'm completely enjoying, I no longer have huge swathes off in the middle of the week to look after Charlotte. I'm trying to find out of the Day Care center where we take Charlotte on Tues and Thurs could accommodate her on the other days of the week, but of course, it being the fuckin' weekend, it's impossible to reach them.

  As of Sunday noon, the magneseum treatments seem to be working. The contractions have been largely curtailed, and Peg's spirits are much better. I've been frantically bouncing between home and hospital, and my Mom has been gracious enough to help look after Charlotte, who herself has been uncharacteristically angelic throughout these proceedings. Not sure what'll happen for the rest of the week (if the contractions continue beyond Monday, they say they won't try to stop them at that point). Mercifully, the folks at MTVNews Online have been very supportive, understanding and accommodating about all of this.

  More news maybe later....and hopefully it'll be happy news.

    Alex in NYC
  e-mail: vassifer at earthlink.net
  weblog: http://vassifer.blogs.com

http://www.flipsidemovies.com