[kj] The IT Crowd

Antoni Adamiak pssyche23 at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 11 06:57:47 EST 2006

Nathan Barley is/was fantastic ... a great spoof on all those trendy gadgety
knobs you see about ... superbly painful in parts ... when I chanced upon it
on CH4 I'd not seen any write up or hype and just thought the humour was
right up my street ... but working in a rather large IT shop myself, I'm
struggling to find "The IT Crowd" funny at all ... though I wouldn't mind
swapping workloads ... yes, rumour has it that 80% of all calls to a
helpdesk are resolved via procedures/scripts ... and these days we generally
get non-techie managers in charge of us seasoned technicians and fuck knows
what they are doing apart from furthering their own careers and just
spouting HR process speak that seems to infest the place these days ... and
in what seemed to be another flavour of the month gesture, we even had
laminates posted up on the noticeboards last year explaining the background
to various religious "celebration" days (reference Equality and Diversity in
a large corporate) and a previous dorm (which was set aside for those poor
souls who might have been called in overnight to do some REAL WORK, solving
a live problem or doing an implementation etc and might wanna have a kip for
a few hours) is now a place for religious "comtemplation" ... I wonder
whether I may stir up a hornet's nest if I go in there with my Chelsea scarf
for a few minutes prior setting off for the FC Barcelona match ... anyway,
(as usual) I digress somewhat ...