[kj] The Beat - News

Mike Cooper mike at coopersurf.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Dec 21 18:54:42 EST 2006

hi all,

bumped into Rankin Roger today for the first time in a while so went for a
long chat and several cups of tea! Us Brummies know how to push the boat
out. Spending an hour with Roger is always a wonderful experience and
having not seen him since the late summer he had a lot of very interesting
news! He was glad to see me due to what is below and knows how much I like
Killing Joke. He is also happy for some of it to go on here.

Anyway The Beat have finished the new album and there are 16 new tracks 14
of which will make the album. Roger is now in talks with 3 record companies
and should finalise one soon. He is still hoping Adrian Sherwood will
produce it. I have been promised a copy of the tracks as they are and will
let you know what they are like.

The news regarding Killing Joke is that Geordie has sent him a track for him
to add vocals on. Roger actually keeps this on his phone as well but had
the wrong phone today and was disappointed (as was I). He says it is
classic Geordie and excellent guitar sound and playing. Roger is a big fan
of Geordies. I have been invited round to hear this and the Beat album in
early Jan.

Jaz also wants to meet up with Roger and work with him on something possibly
for a new KJ album or side project. Although KJ don't have guest vocalists
unless I am missing something, so it could be the latter. Anyway Jaz is in
NZ at the moment but coming over in Jan/Feb and wants to meet Roger and work
on some joint vocals, the plan is to meet up discuss some ideas and go from
there. I did cheekily ask to come along - worth a try. Roger thinks a new
album is being planned, although he wasn't 100% sure. Roger has met with
Matt at a couple of gigs recently and is really hopeful this will happen and
will be in touch with him. I know Roger hasn't seen KJ for years but they
were good buddies for a long time. LLB is his ring tone. He was supposed
to come to Wolerhampton on the last tour but had a terrible hangover and
pulled out!

The Beat have been in Russia, Japan, Europe and Aus. Russia was a bit wierd
for them, Japan and Aus wicked and oh Sham 69 have split!!

I hope I have got this right - it was only tea!!!!!!