[kj] OT Murder Ballads

Janean Lancaster Janean.Lancaster at hopwood.ac.uk
Wed Dec 20 11:00:29 EST 2006

<<<It may have been a nice song ,>>>

Was it? I thought it was sad and grisly, meself.

<<< but do you think that the grisly act of murder should be sanitised
and portrayed as an acceptable thing in the name of making art ?>>>

I didn't think it was portrayed as acceptable.

<<< It also ignores the suffering of Kylies family and also doesnt show
Cave spending a long time in jail . >>>

Kylie's family? Why would they be suffering? It's a fictional
character.

<<<Should artistes act responsibly when making music, knowing that their
lyrics may influence people who listen to the music?>>>

Psychos will murder people whether they've listened to tunes or not. I
think Nick Cave's song was responsibly written - he wasn't telling us
about how good murdering is.

<<<I used to listen to Gangsta rap, but kept getting the urge to go and
do a drive by shooting, so I now listen to Boney M>>>

Oh, you got me! I thought you were being serious. Thank God you were
only winding us up. I got sucked into that one.

Cheers,

Janean