[kj] OT: Solumn aniversary

TB Partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Tue Dec 12 20:10:17 EST 2006

"Crack" wrote:

> By the way : My finger nail falling off and slicing my other finger

> were both accidents , I'm not one of these people who like hurting

> themselves .

> Has anyone ever had a really good accident? Like chopping something off?

I used to work in a sheet metal shop when I was just out of High School in
the late 70's and saw all sorts of nasty accidents. Probably the worst was
when some guy chopped the ends off 4 fingers in a machine called a "shear"
used to cut large 8 x 14 foot pieces of heavy gage sheet metal. My best
friend who I got a job at this place was carrying a large 8 x 12 foot piece
of sheet metal with another worker and it slipped out of the other guy's
hands causing the corner of the sheet to pivot out of my buddies grasp and
slice his arm from his wrist up about 2/3rds to his forearm requiring about
40 stitches. He quit that week and vowed never to work in the industry
again.

When I moved on to the military aircraft industry and worked at places like
McDonnell Douglas on planes like the C-17, I saw some really horrific
accidents almost weekly. I saw one guy slip and fall off a wing and fall
about 20 feet and land headfirst which split his skull like a watermelon on
a hard concrete floor because he didn't have his safety harness hooked up to
prevent such tumbles. There were so many accidents at that company, they had
their own fire department and EMTs on site.

Worst thing that happened to me was a pinched nerve in my neck from a
scaffold bar that came loose about 20 feet above me and fell clipping me on
my shoulder while inside a plane's tail. Not bad for 16 years worth of that
profession.

T.B.