[kj] Killing Joke - Is that it?

Jiri unspeakable at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 6 12:20:36 EST 2006

I'd certainly love another effort (if it sucks, it sucks, so what. It's
just music. I'd rather hear the attempt than nothing at all). Even with
their poor organization/motivation and another 7-year hiatus, they
surely will want to record again at some point. But if I had to bet, I'd
say we're looking at another long, post-Democracy-like period of
canceled tours (check!), inactivity (check!) and aborted half-attempts
at a new recording, with the return of the ever-changing cast of
discarded session drummers. And Jaz becomes Axl Rose.

But this is where health enters the equation. Their lifestyle and
advancing age may conspire to botch their next attempt. The body
forgives alcoholism for a while -- hell, it forgives daily drinking up
to a point -- but if they carry this self-abuse on unchanged into their
50s, well...I for one wouldn't underwrite their insurance policies.

I've often wondered how Jaz's symphony colleagues receive his act --
esp. if/when he shows up blitzed. I wonder if the "mysterious tortured
genius" act gets their forgiveness.