[kj] From Self-Titled to Outside the Gate

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 14:30:40 EDT 2006

Aphex Twin's oddly-well-regarded double CD _Selected Ambient Works 2_
sounds like a bunch of factory presets from a Roland JD800 keyboard or
something run through factory presets on some digital effects unit.

A lot of his work is not as bad as all that, and some of it just about
deserves the hype.  Have to dock every one of his records a couple of
stars for inspiring so many tons of aimless, meandering,
semi-rhythmical drivel with melodies that aspire to be childish.

--Mark