[kj] From Self-Titled to Outside the Gate

Jpwhkj at aol.com Jpwhkj at aol.com
Thu Aug 24 03:30:26 EDT 2006

I realise that's a widely-held viewpoint, but to be honest I don't think KJ ever regained the quality they had before OTG. Some material since then has been fantastic, but the albums have lacked the depth of the earlier ones.

I think that Big Paul was the only person who could hold his own against Jaz, and once he'd gone, KJ's creative dynamic became too heavily weighted in Jaz's favour.  Yes, there have been brilliant moments.  Yes, Geordie still writes brilliant music (when he can be bothered).  Yes, the band can still produce a brilliant live show.  But *something vital* disappeared with Big Paul, and it ain't been the same since.

Jamie