[kj] prog

James Osborne james_social at circlewithadot.net
Tue Aug 22 14:41:08 EDT 2006

Ok, here is the definition of Art-Rock/Prog-Rock according to AMG:

/Progressive rock and art rock are two almost interchangeable terms
describing a mostly British attempt to elevate rock music to new levels
of artistic credibility. The differences between prog-rock and art rock
are often slight in practice, but do exist. Prog-rock tends to be more
traditionally melodic (even when multi-sectioned compositions replace
normal song structures), more literary (poetry or sci-fi/fantasy
novels), and more oriented toward classically trained instrumental
technique (with the exception of Pink Floyd
<http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:PINK%7CFLOYD>). Art rock
is more likely to have experimental or avant-garde influences, placing
novel sonic texture above prog-rock's symphonic ambitions. Both styles
are intrinsically album-based, taking advantage of the format's capacity
for longer, more complex compositions and extended instrumental
explorations. In fact, many prog bands were fond of crafting concept
albums that made unified statements, usually telling an epic story or
tackling a grand overarching theme. In addition to pushing rock's
technical and compositional boundaries, prog-rock was also arguably the
first arena where synthesizers and electronic textures became
indispensable parts of a rock ensemble. The earliest rumblings of
progressive and art rock could be heard in the poetry of Bob Dylan
<http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:BOB%7CDYLAN> and
conceptually unified albums like the Mothers of Invention
<http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:THE%7CMOTHERS%7COF%7CINVENT>'s
Freak Out!
<http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=2:FREAK%7COUT%21> and the
Beatles <http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:THE%7CBEATLES>'
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
<http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=2:SGT.%7CPEPPER%5C%27S%7CLONELY%7C>,
all of which suggested that rock was more than just teenagers' music and
should be taken seriously as an art form. Prog-rock began to emerge out
of the British psychedelic scene in 1967, specifically a strain of
classical/symphonic rock led by the Nice
<http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:THE%7CNICE>, Procol
Harum <http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:PROCOL%7CHARUM>,
and the Moody Blues
<http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:THE%7CMOODY%7CBLUES>
(Days of Future Passed
<http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=2:DAYS%7COF%7CFUTURE%7CPASSED>).
King Crimson
<http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:KING%7CCRIMSON>'s 1969
debut In the Court of the Crimson King
<http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=2:IN%7CTHE%7CCOURT%7COF%7CTHE%7CC>
firmly established the concept of progressive rock, and a quirky,
eclectic scene was taking shape in Canterbury, led by the jazzy
psychedelia of the Soft Machine
<http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:THE%7CSOFT%7CMACHINE>.
Prog-rock became a commercial force in the early '70s, with Emerson,
Lake & Palmer
<http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:EMERSON,%7CLAKE%7C&%7CPALME>,
Yes <http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:YES>, Jethro Tull
<http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:JETHRO%7CTULL>, Genesis
<http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:GENESIS>, and Pink Floyd
<http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:PINK%7CFLOYD> leading
the way. Meanwhile, a more avant-garde scene (dubbed Kraut-rock) was
developing in Germany, and eccentric, unclassifiable bands continued to
emerge in the U.K. By the mid-'70s, a backlash was beginning to set in;
prog-rock sometimes mistook bombast for majesty, and its far-reaching
ambition and concern with artistic legitimacy could make for overblown,
pretentious music. Its heyday soon came to an end with the advent of
punk, which explicitly repudiated prog's excesses and aimed to return
rock & roll to its immediate, visceral roots. Still, prog-rock didn't
completely go away. A number of AOR bands used prog ideas in more
concise songs; plus, Pink Floyd
<http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:PINK%7CFLOYD>, Yes
<http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:YES>, and Genesis
<http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:GENESIS> all had number
one singles in the '80s by retooling their approaches. A small cult of
neo-prog bands catered to faithful audiences who still liked grandiose
concepts and flashy technique; the first was Marillion
<http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=1:MARILLION>, and many
more popped up in the late '80s and early '90s./
--
James Osborne
james_social at circlewithadot.net

Japanese Music Information -> www.circlewithadot.net