[kj] Re: melatonin

jo arcadia at arcadia.karoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 11 18:55:22 EDT 2006

  It's used in the dog world too.  To help with stress - particularly with things like noise phobias - fireworks etc.  Can't say that I've had any success but I've only used it once and recommended it once but some people swear by it.  Personally by the time you work out the correct dosage you can sort out the problem behaviourally.

  Gave it to my OH - didn't reduce his sex drive.  I'll have to give him a bit more next time;-))  Hardly empirical evidence though.

  jo

  Adverse reactions associated with melatonin include stomach discomfort, morning grogginess, daytime "hangover," feeling of a "heavy head," depression, psychotic episodes (in combination with fluoxetine), headache, lethargy, fragmented disorientation, amnesia, inhibition of fertility, increased seizure activity, suppression of male sexual drive, hypothermia, retinal damage, gynecomastia and low sperm count. Typically, these reports are related to high doses. However, adverse effects have been reported and can occur with low doses as well.