[kj] OT: MAKE IT STOP!

death wish dwish2000 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 8 15:24:11 EDT 2006

Hey Alex (and Stephane), sorry to hear of your ongoing woes - As I believe
I've mentioned here before, I've had tinnitus for 20 years and wouldn't wish
it on anyone.

I tried acupuncture about 10 years ago. I only went once, and there didn't
seem to be any effect. I'm sure practitioners would say you've gotta go for
a half-year or something.... I've heard Ginko Bilboa can alleviate symptoms,
but not for me. Those noise-cancelling devices sound interesting, but I
think with tinnitis, it's very hard to pinpoint exactly what's going on. A
hundred people could have very different things going on with their hearing,
and they could all have tinnitus.

I had my hearing checked last year and was happy to learn that although
tinnitis is connected to hearing loss, it isn't necessarily an indicator. My
hearing tested at the high-end of normal, which suits me fine, and makes me
much less stressed about the ringing than I used to be. Diet and stress are
factors. Caffeine and aspirin are common complicators.

I rarely go to live shows, and if I do, I've got earplugs in and I'm at the
back of the venue. I just looked into getting "musicians earplugs" and in
Toronto you can get a custom-made pair for $190, which seems like a small
price to pay.

I got an mp3 player about a year and a half ago, and also noticed my ringing
getting worse, so I've set strict rules on the volume I'll listen to it at.
My player displays a volume number, so it's easy to keep track. There are a
lot of places I don't even bother using it, since the sound of the subway or
street can be pretty loud to start with.

I found playing soft radio static would mask the particular sound I was
hearing, and in the first few years, that really helped me sleep. I think
the mind eventually adjusts so it's not as irritating as it is initially.

T.