[kj] Lords of the New Church vs. DEVO

CEPLASTER at aol.com CEPLASTER at aol.com
Thu Apr 27 11:04:02 EDT 2006

Dear Alex,

         Just wanted to  respectfully disagree with your comment about Devo
V2 being completely out of  character with their philosophy.   I am a pretty
huge fan of the  band,  and a few years back I had the opportunity to meet Mark
M. and hang  out at his studio for a couple of days, as some friends of mine
were doing some  recording for a movie soundtrack, and they allowed me to tag
along.
         The one overwhelming  impression that I have always got, which was
definitely confirmed by this  experience, was that he has a pretty huge sense
of humor.  Anyone who  would approach him regarding a project like this,
obviously knows nothing  about the band outside of maybe "Whip it", right?
Certainly if they had  listened to any of the old 4 track stuff that Ryko disc put out
they would think  twice.
          If you asked  me,  my guess would be that the whole thing was  just
too  ridiculous to pass up.   Sure, the whole thing is  god-awful.  All I'm
saying is that those guys have probably been laughing  themselves silly all the
while.  Even though I'm sure they made some decent  money for it, those guys
are doing quite well now, so I seriuously doubt that  money was a motivation.
 Mothersbaughs soundtrack business brings in  way more money than they ever
made back in the bands heyday.
             Incidentally,  I have it on good authority that Tool/Maynard's
sons name is  Devo.

              Thanks, Carl P.