[kj] UK / Europe - Lords of the New Church - Bootlegs Question(noKJ content

CEPLASTER at aol.com CEPLASTER at aol.com
Thu Apr 27 10:28:02 EDT 2006

Dear Jim,

        I was very interested to see  that background info on the Flys.  I
had no idea they had a previous life  as "Mozart".  The whole Roy Thomas Baker
angle sounds very true to  form.  The Flys had two brothers (right?) that were
kind of pretty boys,  and Roy definitely likes his men cute.  You probably
have heard this all  ready, but there has been a long standing rumor that
Tommy Lee of Motley Crue did some "favors" for RTB to get him to do the
first Motley ep- not that I have any problem with that, mind you.  It's  just a
nice piece of folklore that I wanted to pass along.
         Back to the Flys... I have  a great Flys story for you.   A few
years back when they had a song  that was doing well on "alternative" radio (WFNX
in Boston), I was mixing sound  for a
Boston band that was opening for the Flies.  In true a-hole headliner
fashion, they do a soundcheck that takes the better part of a day and still  sounds
like crud, due to clueless soundman with loads of gear and minimum  savvy.
They have an equally clueless tour manager lady who, swear to god,  looks like a
"Scores" girl, and even though she seems to know very little, it  doesn't
really matter because all the guys who work at the club are fawning all  over
her, anyway.
          My band gets  virtually no soundcheck, but we manage fine.  Their
set sounds like poo,  and the two brothers get in a fight after the show.
Freaking train  wreck.
           One side  note,  ten years previous, there was a band from Boston
called the Flys who  were fucking great, but outside of Boston, nobody really
knows about them.

    Thanks,  Carl P.