[kj] UK / Europe - Lords of the New Church - Bootlegs Question(noKJ content

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 27 07:53:58 EDT 2006

I remember The Flys. They played at my university, which indicates their lack of status at the time (my university was attending by roughly 1500 people, and the capacity for the venue was about 250). I refused to play their single at my club nights. I gave the album a bad review in the Students Union magazine too. I'd forgotten how much I hated The Flys.

  Jim.

Alexander Smith <vassifer at earthlink.net> wrote:

Wow -- that was quite exhaustive! Cheers, TB!

I never managed to see the Lords live, but I did see two or three of
the Dead Boys' annual X-mas reunion shows at the Ritz (prior to
Stiv's death, obviously). I've met Brian James once or twice (I
believe he's friends with Raven) and I had some fleeting dealings
with Nicky Turner. Some time in the mid-90's, when I was doing more
writing for shitty two-bit rock mags, he'd become some sort've
record exec at IRS, and was managing an IRS subset called Bachoven,
which was specifically set up to promote a new Miles/Turner discovery
called MOZART, who were an operatic metal band ala Queen (they even
managed to rope in Roy Thomas Baker to produce). Evidently there was
this huge hype and bidding war surrounding the band, but at the time
-- the veritable crux of Grunge -- the public couldn't possibly have
been less interested. I saw Mozart perform at the Limelight with much
fanfare and promotion, but nothing came of them. A year or two later,
I was in a shitty bar in Costa Mesa, CA with some friends and a band
called "The Flys" came onstage -- it was actually Mozart (with
brand new "grunge" haircuts and clothes and a brand new "alt.rock"
name). It was somewhat pathetic.

As they Flys, they had a successful single about a year or two after
that, albeit it had nothing to do with Bachoven, Nicky Turner or IRS
at that point.

I completely remember that Lords wheelchair bootleg. I'd always
assumed it was Stiv just being tastlelss (as was his forte).

Alex in NYC

http://www.flipsidemovies.com
http://jimharper.blogspot.com