[kj] Lords of the New Church vs. DEVO

James Osborne rush_me_away at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 26 22:05:55 EDT 2006

Devo is from Akron, OH..."former" rubber capital of the world. About 8min away from where I'm at.

GregSlawson at aol.com wrote:  I  always thought the Dead Boys were pretty awful--one mediocre song,  that's it. I've heard they were wild live, but probably couldn't quite  fit between British bands like 999 & Sham 69 and American hardcore  (like our Lord and Savior Black Flag). I guess the Adverts were a band  that fit that hole and were much better.
  I recently saw an interview w/Gerald Casale from DEVO, I think on their  website. The interviewer asked if they ever considered themselves punk.  Jerry replied with an anecdote about a show they did, back in the late  70s, with the Dead Boys (both bands were from the midwest US). One of  the Dead Boys fans or band members (I forgot which) insulted DEVO at  the gig, and a DEVO member beat the crap out of the guy. I always knew  there was something more to that band (DEVO)--and Alex et al, let's not  get too upset about their recent children's album--it's an weird and  totally unexpected idea, fitting with the band's history._______________________________________________
Gathering mailing list
Gathering at misera.net

James "Bruce" Osborne
rush_me_away at yahoo.com