[kj] Ruminations..

sade1 saulomar1 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 25 00:32:19 EDT 2006

   I don't care much for the first two songs. They seem to have been a little too "metalled" out for the mass market, but if so, i hope it works for sales figures. But I think tracks 4 - 7 -- Implosion, Majestic, Walk With Gods, Lightbringer -- do recapture the Joke essence, in a Revelations/Pandemonium/Extremities../WTf?/ kind of way.

     I really feel that in the right hands (like VNV Nation, Funker Vogt, etc.), songs like Majestic and Walk With Gods could yield some real sonic pearls.

     My definitive album would be (pl.) Wtf?, Revelations, ExDAVRE, Pandemonium (and i love how they've matured that essence in HoFThBOF).  KJ are just too varied and rich to have one defining album, i think.

     And the KJ for Beginners *doffs hat* sheds a much truer light on what KJ are about musically.

  In short, i'm glad for the new cd, it was well worth the wait, and I hope the tour is not long in reaching us here in the States - tho' with Jaz's lyrics, he may just be stopped at the Canucki [Canadia, Canuckistan] border and held as an enemy agitator.
   ~~ s.1

  P.S. You'll Never Get To Me is indeed a good song, and a welcome change of pace too. I am also a big fan of Jana, especially the Youth mix.

Jerry Butson <bernies at ntlworld.com> wrote:
  Not that I get much chance to post these days but I'm really getting into Majestic and Lightbringer

Yes, there are echoes of Intravenous etc. about them. No, maybe this isn't the best album ever but there's classic Joke in there.

I couldn't name my definitive KJ album, there's good in all of them (yes, even OTG) but that's one of t'Joke's strengths.

I feel that, in this new set, they've distilled that primal Joke essence in, yes, an Extremities kind of way.

jerry

p.s. is it just me who really rates "You'll Never Get to Me" as one of the stand out moments from the last album? Extinguisher at the ready...

As the masters rot on walls
And the angels eat their grapes
I watched picasso
visit the planet of the apes