[kj] Hosannas: what's not to like?

Alex Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 19 15:00:10 EDT 2006

I continue to dutifully listen to HOSANNAs, but I'm still not "feelin' it" (as the hip kids say).  The songs are too long, Jaz's vocals are both a bore and a chore. Too often, there isn't enough definition to the rhythm section -- just a rattling blur. I appreciate its propensity for blustery high volume (it sounds nice and big), but I just wish there was a bit more clarity to it.

In terms of its similarity to "Exorcism," I see your point, but I think my appreciation for "Exorcism" is linked more to its placement in the era in which is surfaced (`94), when apart from my precious Cop Shoot Cop, the world was otherwise obsessed with stuff like Morcheeba (not that knocking them, mind you), and "Exorcism" arrived like a clenched iron fist on trip-hop's chinless jaw. "GET IT OUT, GET IT OUT, GET IT OUT....." Also, one can't help but be intrigued by the King's Chamber story -- whether it's factual or not, I'll let Peter West consider. The over-the-op, Lemmyvoxed style demonstrated on "Exorcism" had not yet become a norm. It still felt new.

I dunno. For all my complaints, I'd still rather listen to HOSANNAS than **ANY** of the shit I hear here at MTV every goddamn day of the fucking week.

Alex in NYC