[kj] Hosannas: what's not to like?

Mark Kolmar mkolmar at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 12:03:08 EDT 2006

To Alex and others who aren't too fond of the new record -- Has it
grown on you at all?

Alex, after I read your comment to remind me that "Whiteout" and
"Exorcism" are among his favorite tracks on _Pandemonium_, I was all
the more surprised that you don't particularly care for _Hosannas_.
Large portions of the new record have a similarly insistent,
oppressive character as those two tracks.

I listened to it on my small system last night.  With regard to the
mix and mastering, it worked equally well on the bedroom system (teeny
amp and little Klipsch speakers) as the big stereo in the living room
(preamp into 4x125w bi-amped into big B&Ws).  It still sounds a little
dodgy, and parts seem to have significant tape saturation or similar
issue where low bass imposes itself on the whole rest of the mix.

I was impressed that the synth parts seem more "keyboardy" for lack of
a better term (VdGG or Hawkwind maybe), and less dance/techno
certainly than on _Pandemonium_.  The synths seem all the more alien
because they do not reference current and recent trends the way they
did on _Pandemonium_.  You'll notice if you listen closely that the
synth parts offer a lot of textural support for Geordie's guitar.  Do
you suppose the synths were Jaz's work?

--Mark