[kj] Rating the Perceptions

Robert Mallett Robert at jrcardwell.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Apr 12 02:36:15 EDT 2006

1. Extremities
2. Revelations
3. Nighttime
4. KJ '80/to 1980
5. Firedances
6. s/t 2003
7. Pandemonium
8. What's This For
9. Hossanas
10. Democracy
11. Brighter
12. Outside

I am not counting live, hits and/or collections

OK, here we go.

1 Hosannas - streets ahead of the rest, including the very best.
2 Revelations - never liked Milk and Honey or Dregs that much - smacked of
fillers but the rest is genius)
3 BATS (perfection aside from Rubicon)
4 Ha! (too short but remastered it's class)
4 KJ '80 (orthodox rock production, but musically superior)
5 Extremities (apart from Atkins and his drum wizardry; they ought to re
mix/remaster with Benny or even BPF)
6 Nighttime (too many singles, and including 80s was not a good idea, but a
great album)
7 WTF (weak tracks Exit, Madness which are fillers; dreadful sound)
8 Pandemonium (too many weak tracks. Exorcism, Black Moon, Communion and
Millennium stand out; the drumming doesn't)
9KJ 03 (refinding themselves - too politicised, too metal and I hate Grohl)
10 Firedances (too many weak tracks, weak production, too many drugs being
taken)
11 OTG (Coleman's first attempt at the classical form in KJ mode - doesn't
work because it was recorded among deep acrimony and was plainly rushed)

off the scale altogether - Democracy (never play it although 'Mass' from
this era is a killer track; the worst, absolute worst, KJ album ever)

Tim