[kj] Perceptions so far.

GregSlawson at aol.com GregSlawson at aol.com
Fri Apr 7 23:59:49 EDT 2006

The way I see the new album (and I'm still listening to the download that
Chris graciously sent me, since it won't be released in the "States" until APRIL
FUCKIN' 18) is by placing the songs in 2 categories:
     First, the slow, grinding, and very dark tunes that, while not my
favorites, should take their place in the goth/metal genre. Those tunes are of
course Invocation (really just a cover of "Intravenous"), Majestic, Judas Goat
(nice unusual beat/time signature), and Gratitude.
     I place the rest (Tribal Antidote & Walking With Gods--the
chugger/danceable tunes, and HosannASS, Implosion, and Lightbringer--the fast ones) in a
second category: Tunes with relatively radio-friendly production (snappy drums,
blended bass) and accessible melodies. I seem to disagree with others in
thinking that the production is strong, and in seeing the album as made up of these
two categories of songs. I don't think it's one of their strongest OR one of
their weakest--the only real problem I see is that several tunes either sound
like covers of previous songs (Tribal, Lightbringer, Majestic, Invocation) or
sound like songs that other, generic-type bands could do (Implosion, the title
track). Then again, after 27 years, what can we expect?