[kj] OT: Man held as terrorism suspect over punk song

LONESTYLE at aol.com LONESTYLE at aol.com
Wed Apr 5 14:26:17 EDT 2006

People are just plain paranoid. ~LB

April 5, 2006 - 1 hour, 48 minutes ago

British anti-terrorism detectives escorted a man from a  plane after a taxi
driver had earlier become suspicious when he started singing  along to a track
by punk band The Clash, police said Wednesday.
Detectives halted the London-bound flight at Durham Tees  Valley Airport in
northern England and Harraj Mann, 24, was taken  off.
The taxi driver had become worried on the way to the  airport because Mann
had been singing along to The Clash's 1979 anthem "London  Calling," which
features the lyrics "Now war is declared -- and battle come  down" while other
lines warn of a "meltdown expected."
Mann told British newspapers the taxi had been fitted with  a music system
which allowed him to plug in his MP3 player and he had been  playing The Clash,
Procol Harum, Led Zeppelin and the Beatles to the  driver.
"He didn't like Led Zeppelin or The Clash but I don't think  there was any
need to tell the police," Mann told the Daily Mirror.
A Durham police spokeswoman said Mann had been released  after questioning --
but had missed his flight.
"The report was made with the best of intentions and we  wouldn't want to
discourage people from contacting us with genuine concerns,"  she said.