[kj] Jazmir!

antoni at clara.net antoni at clara.net
Wed Apr 5 03:53:28 EDT 2006

Yeah, it's exists alright !!!

Though not easy to track down, Kashmir is one of a series of "symphonic" projects that Jaz Coleman was involved in. The ones I've managed to track down are released on either Point Music (as in Kashmir, Us And Them, Oceania) or RCA Victor (Fanfare/Idavoll, Who's Serious, Symphonic Music of the Rolling Stones) or Decca (The Doors Concerto). There's also "Pacifica - Ambient Sketches" with the New Zealand String Quartet which I have on a CD-R only. Apart from Oceania & The Doors Concerto which seemed widely available, the others I managed to purchase over the web - several via the www.artistdirect.com website ... more recently there has also been the collaboration with Cechomor, an East European folk CD with Nigel Kennedy and a CD with Sarah Brightman amongst others ...

... Kashmir then ... it really is a monumental recording ... released in 1997 & featuring Dawn At The Great Pyramid/Kashmir/The Battle Of Evermore/Stairway To Heaven/When The Levee Breaks/Going To California/Friends/All My Love/Kulu Valley(ambient remix), I'd not heard many of the originals (such as on Led Zep IV) so then curious I picked up a nice-price copy and now the Zep tracks sound feeble in comparison to a 100 piece orchestra (here the London Philharmonic). Not everyone's cup of tea of course but if you are not put off by the idea of it, you are unlikely to be disappointed when you hear it.

Regards,

Antoni