[kj] NEW ALBUM

Paul Rangecroft paul.rangecroft at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 05:35:18 EDT 2006

So did I.

I dunno, I've kinda gone off it a bit since the mp3s surfaced.

It's a good album, with some brilliant moments, but I'm not too keen on the
muddy Democracy-style production. And some of the tracks ARE far too long. I
just can't stand LIGHTBRINGER. I didn't play it at welding volume, mind.

It is indeed wonderful to have Geordie back, but there are too many effects
going on sometimes. There's a strange metallic effect that jars somewhat,
maybe you know what I mean. And the malaise of power-chord chugging the
verses remains on some tracks too.

I don't like the cover. It's not the right style for KJ and it's not even a
particularly good example of that genre. Looks like a doodle one might do
while on the phone for a long time, only painted classically. Since when
have KJ had anything to do with surrealism (apart from the Jazfro and that
unfortunate 'tash phase)? As a Buddhist I believe in hell realms but that
font makes me think Jaz doesn't, just makes it sound like a lame metal band
type title. Like 'Bat out of Hell', or something. Anway, we all know who
does the best covers. Let's just leave it at that.

It's better than the last two, but nowhere near as good as ED&VRE. But I
hope it sells well. It's a shame they're gonna tour without raven, because
you can really hear him on this one.

Props to Cooking Vinyl too. They've really done a great service to a band
that, frankly, probalby doesn't deserve it! Good of them to keep the price
down.