[kj] 24 million people... 1 from those here!

peter.west410 peter.west410 at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 28 19:26:32 EDT 2005

AZT is the anti HIV drug, it doesnt cure HIV, but it delays its on-set,
thus letting people live a normal life for considerably longer than if they
did nt have any.
    At the moment the drug is expensive(US$20 000, per year).There have been
calls for the pharmaceutical companies to make a cheaper version for the
Third world.The Pharmaceutical companies dont want to do this as these
cheaper drugs will find their way onto the developed worlds markets and they
will lose money and wont be able to recuperate the money they spent on
developing the drug.If they lose money, then they wont have the resources to
do any more research, and so will not be able to develop anymore drugs in
the future.
     P.W
(P.S. Thats the best I know to my knowledge, I'm not sure of how it stands
now, whether a cheaper drug was made available or not)