[kj] 24 million people... 1 from those here!

Javier Garcia jagargal at lycos.com
Tue Sep 27 23:20:44 EDT 2005

It's just a stupid debate -anyway- i felt the need to answer as i am actually a mexican living in Mexico City.
Peter was right in the first place. Jaz is exagerating and i personally understand that lyric sentence as a catastrophic-futuristic statement.
Mexico City has near 10 million people, but what you guys don't know is that the whole metropolitan area of Mexico City includes several counties of Mexico State (which is different from
Mexico City) this counties are basically part of Mexico City in terms of sharing the same problems, sharing many avenues, streets, public transport, etc. but they obviously are part of other
state and ruled by Mexico State regulations. Mexico City is like a state in itself, we have our own government, parlamemt, etc.
Now let's go back: the population of Mexico City is about 10 million people, then you add another 9 million people that lives in the areas surrounding Mexico City (from Mexico State and
Hidalgo State), so the whole Mexico City metropolitan area is near 20 million people. Jaz exagerated again, maybe not that much, but it's still an exageration.
Finally, yes, The world has water supply problems, Mexico City has some water supply problems in some very specific areas. But to be fair i can't talk of a serious water problem, nothing near
"1/2 litter of water a day"... c'mon!!!
On the otherhand is usual that tourists get sick drinking the water from this city for the first time or two.. or three!!, it's a problem, right, but nobody dies because of our water (just check the
population, maybe it's even an afrodisiac!)

Now, to end, i think it's fair to let you know Pete that many (maybe the most) of us latinamericans don't like that term "Americas". America is a whole huge continent including many
countries, from Alaska to Argentina. Mr. James Monroe (ex US president) and his Monroe doctrine is guilty of that odd thing that is naming the U.S. "America" and then everything that
appears below of the US in the maps is called "The Americas"... of course above is Canada but for the U.S. that isn't America either. I guess you wouldn't like a an European country calling
themselves Europe, and their population Europeans, don't you??. So, for the next time the term 'latinamericans' could be better.

Mis dos pesos

Javier
Mexico
Tenochtitlan