[kj] - ot - 3 piece bands - r-billy - J cash

fluw fluwdot at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 25 18:23:28 EST 2005

well gregg, that may be your perspective living in new england... but,
i'm am also a *US* resident, yet have always known of *cash's* sun
rockabilly heyday along with his country success. granted this may be
due to the fact that people with family backgrounds in small towns (like
myself), rural areas, or in the south, tend to have those /*rural and
regional niche market*/ musics such as *rockabilly & western swing* more
apart of their culture. however my guess is the opinion you have of
*cash* was strictly, "*country"* might have come from the expansion of
his marketing efforts that took place later in his career when cowboy
chic spread to the mainstream in the late 60's, partly via *john's
*brief tv show. i think the perspective you highlight is more of a
yankee or urban/suburban thought, based upon that sudden late 60's
mainstream awareness.

these marketing efforts were the course taken as *cash* proclaimed
himself a *country and gospel* artist -, partly because of his
upbringing and *faith* following the guilt he incurred from
participating in the rock n roll explosion. this *"country*" status was
promoted and obsessed upon by *cash* and contributed to the *country
*pigeon hole trough from which mainstream america drank ignorantly.
-- ( such a tendency much of america has of being ignorant of goings on
in general, huh? such as; when something comes to light in the
mainstream, a majority of us think we understand the issue with our
cursory, johnny [pni] come lately perspective, when we are really just
responding to the propaganda being pushed yet we will only continue
cultural focus on the issue as long as the *push* is in gear)--

later on..in the late 80's - *cash* came out to accept his
*rockabilly/rock-n-roll* roots,- as his personal wisdom and the burdens
of evangelical stigmas in US society began to wane some-what from the
tennesee/US market mainstream. luckily music fans were rewarded with a
reinvigorated master, who created more diverse music without the old
stigmas and who reached an even more broad legend and understanding. of
course, finally the newly enlightened hipster/punk/critic and coffee
house crowd felt safe to praise him - and this reality, whether good or
bad in anyone's opinion, helped keep *cash *on the mind of america until
his death. thankfully *cash* took his rightful place at the upper
echelon of american music lore, and not merely in some pathetic country
wagon kiosk exhibition in the /country music hall of fame/...sadly that
is the fate of a majority of *american folk music* greats!