[kj] OT help-- Greatest 3 piece bands

David Schofield David.Schofield at wcigroup.com
Tue Nov 22 12:16:02 EST 2005

Crosby Stills and Nash....?

________________________________

From: gathering-bounces at misera.net [mailto:gathering-bounces at misera.net] On Behalf Of Mark G Holt
Sent: 22 November 2005 17:17
To: A list about all things Killing Joke (the band!)
Subject: Re: [kj] OT help-- Greatest 3 piece bands

EMERSON LAKE AND PALMER

YOU DID ASK............................................

fatpotanga <fatpotanga at gmail.com> wrote:

	Biffy Clyro
	Doves
	Headcunt
	feeder

	On 22/11/05 16:05, "Christof hamille" wrote:

	> All right. I am starting a new band and I am trying to explain to my other
	> band mates what being a REAL three piece is. And what I mean by three piece
	> is that those three people can pulll it off live without any other human
	> help. So this dismisses a lot of bands. So input is appreciated. I am not
	> necessarily looking for, all time, greatest songs. I am looking for
	> examples of how dynamic and different a trio is.
	>
	> 1. The Melvins. Love them or hate them they are one of the greatest
	> examples of what a three piece can do.
	& gt; 2. Motorhead (early and later). Even though not as experimental as the
	> Melvins they are a perfect example of how a great, straight ahead, no
	> bullshit rock band differs from other bands with more members. Listen to
	> Motorhead, Fight, etc.
	> 3. The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Kind of a middle ground between 1 and 2.
	> Spanish Castle Magic, Manic Depression, so on and so on.
	> 4. Big Black. Yes there were a few forrays as a real band but for the most
	> part it shows how a three piece can work with a drum machine and drill a
	> hole in your head. Besides the obvious "hits" listen to Columbian Necktie.
	> Future bands like Godflesh, early Pitchshifter owe them a lot.
	> 5. Primus. Never a big fan but it is a glimpse of what someone like Frank
	> Zappa, on a goofy day, may sound like.
	> 6. The Minute Men. Enough said
	>
	> Other bands worth mentionsing but not sure where they fit in.
	> Unsane
	&g t; Zeni Geva

	--
	³The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm
	bears²

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/default/security_centre/*http:/uk.security.yahoo.com/> .