[kj] OT help-- Greatest 3 piece bands

Christof hamille wessidetempest at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 22 11:05:14 EST 2005

All right.  I am starting a new band and I am trying to explain to my other
band mates what being a REAL three piece is.  And what I mean by three piece
is that those three people can pulll it off live without any other human
help.  So this dismisses a lot of bands.  So input is appreciated.  I am not
necessarily looking for, all time, greatest songs.  I am looking for
examples of how dynamic and different a trio is.

1. The Melvins.  Love them or hate them they are one of the greatest
examples of what a three piece can do.
2. Motorhead (early and later).  Even though not as experimental as the
Melvins they are a perfect example of how a great, straight ahead, no
bullshit rock band differs from other bands with more members.  Listen to
Motorhead, Fight, etc.
3. The Jimi Hendrix Experience.  Kind of a middle ground between 1 and 2.
Spanish Castle Magic, Manic Depression, so on and so on.
4. Big Black.  Yes there were a few forrays as a real band but for the most
part it shows how a three piece can work with a drum machine and drill a
hole in your head.  Besides the obvious "hits" listen to Columbian Necktie.
Future bands like Godflesh, early Pitchshifter owe them a lot.
5.  Primus. Never a big fan but it is a glimpse of what someone like Frank
Zappa, on a goofy day, may sound like.
6. The Minute Men.  Enough said

Other bands worth mentionsing but not sure where they fit in.
Unsane
Zeni Geva
Husker Du
Blue Cheer
Shellac
Nirvana (when they were a three piece and the songs were written as a three
piece)
The James Gang
and
come on