[kj] Power Chord Pioneer Link Wray Dies at 76

Devacor at aol.com Devacor at aol.com
Mon Nov 21 21:01:39 EST 2005

don't know if this has been posted yet...

Power Chord Pioneer Link Wray Dies at 76
COPENHAGEN, Denmark (Nov. 21) - Guitar master Link Wray,  the father of the
power chord in rock 'n' roll who inspired such legends as  Bruce Springsteen,
David Bowie and Pete Townshend, has died. He was 76.
Wray died Nov. 5 at his home in Copenhagen, his wife and  son said on his Web
site. No cause of death was given, but his family said his  heart was
"getting tired." He was buried Friday after a service at Copenhagen's  Christian
Church.
"While playing his guitar he often told the audience, 'God  is playing my
guitar, I am with God when I play,"' his wife, Olive, and son,  Oliver Christian,
wrote. "We saw you go with God, you were smiling."
Wray, who played in his trademark leather jacket, developed  a style
considered the blueprint for heavy metal and punk music. He is best  known for his
1958 instrumental "Rumble," 1959 "Rawhide" and 1963 "Jack the  Ripper." His music
has been featured in movies including "Pulp Fiction,"  "Independence Day" and
"Desperado."