[kj] On topic- sorry to intrude

fluw fluwdot at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 17 17:33:27 EST 2005

*yes, i would hope bands can be influenced without sounding way too much
like the influence ( ala *1919* [which i like despite of, or maybe
because of, it's obvious sonic appropriations ;] )  but having aggregate
similarities to an influence, can be both transparent & give strong
roots to whatever is added.

i liken it to the musical language implicit in various music scales -
the human body has a cellular trace memory ( as well as a direct
experiential memory ) that allows us all to interpret and experience
whether a sound gets us off or not. this i suppose is similar to any
natural attractions we perceive in any sensory context, whether visual,
taste, scent, auditory.
 --   Ex: as pop & folk music takes full advantage of the most familiar
melodic patterns to increase it's appeal  --... other music like *modern
experimental jazz* will avoid most, but not all, of the traditionally
familiar melodic infrastructure in order to explore possibilites and
sound 'new' - if jazz sounds continue to be popular  -  in time
 ( over many many many generations ) it too will develop a *rapport*
with memory and these (formerly new) melodic motifs will be used for pop
appeal as well. as for now, many post 50's jazz experiments are too
unfamiliar and therefor - sound chaotic to the greater populace.

 all paradyms of perceptions have a basis that provides an eqilibrium
which is beneficial as a foundation for further exploration.

but amateur artistic meanderings by beings ( such as indolent adults )
who have lost a connection to their natural uninnitiated inner child
voice and are merely creating with a lazy un-informed musical approach
ala, patti smith, or oasis, are not adding anything palatable, laudable
or repeatable to the culture. those approaches are pure torpid
excrement..least that's how it sounds to me.

*