OT: RE: [kj] Tube Disaster

Shadforth, Jane SUKOP-OFI/3521 jane.shadforth at shell.com
Tue Nov 15 13:59:44 EST 2005

OK - I haven't quite stopped yet...

I am truly gobsmacked that anyone living in the UK could say this. Were you not worried when you heard the news that some of your friends or family could have been caught up in it??? Surely you couldn't have known that they were all safe at the time of the explosions?

I spent all day trying to track everyone down - we all travel so much these days - any of my friends or family could have been in London on that morning. Fortunately all were OK, but one friend was in the carriage next to the one that exploded, and had to walk past the aftermath - she was lucky, but is still too traumatised to return fully to work.

I haven't met anyone yet who has not been affected in some way to either 9/11 or the London bombings. Just knowing that another friend was in the World Trade Centre on 8/11 was enough to turn my blood cold. It could have been him...

But my friends were lucky, and these are just two of millions of chilling stories I've heard from people who were affected in a small way. Others weren't so lucky, and my sympathies go out to those who lost friends.

Is your circle of friends really so small that you had nobody you were worried about on either day, and have been affected by no "near miss" stories? If so you are very lucky to have remained untouched and free to have no sentiment to bother you.

Jane