[kj] The Dirty Three

Sergt. Dregs crackedmachine at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 13:10:22 EST 2005

The Dirty Three

13/11 I interviewed Warren Ellis before soundcheck and
witnessed the Dirty Three play with even more fire
than in Liverpool. The Manchester gig was amongst the
best gigs I've ever heard by any band, especially
"Everything's Fucked" and "Sue's Last Ride" which
might well have been the greatest performances I've
ever experienced from any band.

They are selling a tour only live CD for a fiver which
might well be the very best Dirty Three album of all.

I highly recommend that you see this awesome band if
you can. Here are the remaining tour dates:

Tue 15 UK, Brighton, Komedia
Wed 16 UK, London, Scala
Thu 17
Fri 18 UK, Nottingham, Rescue Rooms
Sat 19 UK, Glasgow, ABC 2
Sun 20 UK, Newcastle, Academy 2
Mon 21 UK, Birmingham, Academy 2
Tue 22 UK, Leeds, Brudenell Social Club

Warren Ellis told me he'd played violin on two songs
with PJ Harvey at a gig in Paris, but couldn't
remember which songs they were.

Does anyone know which songs he played on?

Better still, does anyone have a bootleg of this gig?

The Dirty Three are certainly a band who other
musicians like a lot - there were people from lots of
the best Manchester bands at the gig, including Stray
Light, Last Harbour, Lone Lady, Jackie O, Cornish Tin
Mines, Stuckometer, Daniel Weaver.

Support was Josh Pearson (formerly of Lift To
Experience) who was excellent, especially his sing
along, "The Devil's on the run lets have some fun!"

**********

Here's an excerpt from another interview with Warren
Ellis:

Are you a religious person at all?

Yeah. I have my own beliefs about things. I kind of
think everybody does. Everybody has their own beliefs.
It doesn’t have to be the one that’s given to us.
Belief in yourself. Belief in what people can achieve.
Belief that everybody has something that they can do
which benefits everybody. Something that when you now
it’s right, you follow it, and it’s not determined by
money. It’s not determined by anything like that at
all. And if you don’t answer it, it may not come
again. But everybody has something that they can do. I
believe that that’s a kind of driving thing. I
actually have a profound belief in people. I know that
people are fucked. And I know that they do fucked
things. And I know that things are really not so
great, but I do believe in people.

I think you do have to put your faith in people when
you’re traveling so much.

Well, you put your faith in people the moment you step
in the car, the moment you step in the plane, the
moment you step on the bus. You’re putting the most
precious thing that you’ve been given, which is your
life, on the line. Yeah, you’re constantly putting
things on the line, you know.

***************

14/11 Went to see Dischord band Medications at the
Phoenix. They were great so I bought both their CDs.
You can always rely on Dischord for quality. Math rock
duo Jack Ruby also impressed.

*************

MELT BANANA
> tue	15. Nov	GB	Cardiff	Clwb lfor Bach
> thu	17. Nov	GB	BBC session	Radio One
> fri	18. Nov	GB	Leeds	The Joseph's Well
> sat	19. Nov	GB	Hull	The Adelphi
> sun	20. Nov	GB	London	Garage
> mon	21. Nov	GB	Southampton	The Joiners

Cracked Machine irregular cyberzine
http://www.webinfo.co.uk/crackedmachine

Look at grafitti scrawled on the wall:
Patriotism is a vile thing, a low trick designed for low mentality.